You’ve dropped three sizes in the past few weeks. Congratulations! This is a significant accomplishment worth celebrating! You may want to reward yourself with a new outfit in your new size. But you probably don’t want to buy a whole new wardrobe. Who has that kind of cash? Not to worry—alterations in Seattle, WA provide the perfect solution. Save money by reusing your old clothes on your new frame. Which items are best to tailor? Here are a few tips to save time and money as you adjust your old wardrobe to your new, thin self:
- Consider the fabric: Most items are worth tailoring to fit the new you. If you own garments that have barely been worn but no longer fit, it can be well worth the minimal cost of alterations to keep the item. But some fabrics are easier to alter than others. Cotton, wool, rayon and silk are all easy for tailors to work with. Sequins and beading are more difficult. All of the ornamentation must be removed in the process. If any of your items are embellished, it might be better to retire these items, since they will be more expensive to alter.
- Be careful with denim: Tailors can maintain the original hem of your jeans when they alter the length. However, weight loss doesn’t usually change your height. Your jeans will need to be taken in at the seat and thighs. If the jeans are patterned, faded, distressed or have other unique designs, altering these areas may not result in the look you desire. If you have a favorite pair you simply can’t part with, ask your tailor what they recommend about their possible alteration.
- Allow more for lining: Keep in mind that jackets, skirts or other items with linings must be tailored twice. Alterations can be made, but this double work makes the tailoring more expensive and takes longer. If you are choosing among items to alter to your new size, those with linings should probably go toward the bottom of the list.
- Think outside the blouse: Often, people don’t consider the full range of items that can be altered. They assume something cannot be fixed that is actually easily tailored. Bathing suits, bras, down coats and other specialty items can also be altered. Don’t throw something in the donation pile on the assumption that you can’t have it tailored. Just ask!
- Browse the thrift stores: In addition to salvaging your old wardrobe, you can cheaply replace or supplement with inexpensive thrift store items. It can be difficult to find your exact size in these settings, but remember: you don’t have to! Simply find something you love and have it tailored to your size. You can easily alter several outfits for the same price one new outfit might cost.
As you lose weight, it is important to remember that your tailor is a valuable resource. Alterations in Seattle, WA will save you time and money as you require new clothing for your new body. Contact Diane’s Alterations & Tailoring to find out how we can salvage your favorite items and create amazing thrift store deals.