We all have those friends or coworkers who look impeccable every time we see them. What is their secret? Most likely, they have a trusted tailor customizing their clothes to create the perfect fit. If you have never used professional tailoring services, it’s high time you started. But don’t settle for the first one that comes up in your Google search results. Protect your garment investments and make sure you find an experienced, reputable professional.
Here are some tips to help you through the process of finding perfect tailoring in Seattle, WA:
- Do your homework: The easiest way to start is by asking your friends and coworkers for their recommendations. Try to find people who are of a similar body type. If you’re petite, you want a tailor who is especially good at tailoring for that body type, so it would be most beneficial to ask your well-dressed petite friend for a recommendation. If your friends are just as in need of a tailor as you, then turning to review sites like Yelp is your next best option.
- Call potential tailors: If you see potential in a particular tailor, call the shop to ask specific questions about your needs. Be sure to ask specifically about your most complex tailoring needs. This way, you get a good idea of the scope of the tailor’s expertise.
- Pay the store a visit: When searching for tailoring in Seattle, WA, visiting a potential tailor in his or her shop is an important step in your search. Pay attention to the cleanliness and tidiness of the shop. You don’t want your clothes spending time in a dusty, dirty shop. This is also a great opportunity to see examples of the tailor’s work. Make sure it is not obvious that the garment has been tailored and look for straight, symmetrical stitches.
- Do a test run: Once you are fairly certain you have found “the one,” do not bring him or her your favorite sport jacket, or your new $1,000 dress. Also, do not start off the relationship with your most complex tailoring needs. Chances are, after doing your research, your beloved garments will be fine, but it’s better to start out with something less valuable that needs a fairly easy fix.
- Communicate your needs clearly, but respectfully: When you visit your new tailor, make sure you know what you want and explain it to him or her clearly. If you’re not exactly sure what you want, you can ask the tailor for suggestions, but be sure you are both crystal clear on what the desired outcome is. Finally, be sure to be respectful and friendly. Tailors are skilled professionals and do not want to be talked down to. Plus, they literally have your clothes in their hands!
The search for tailoring in Seattle, WA may initially seem daunting, but all you really need is to do a little reconnaissance. You may be tempted to use the in-house tailor at your local department store or dry cleaners (typically, neither are the most skilled), but beware that you may end up having to ditch your favorite or most expensive pieces because you didn’t take the time to shop around.
Follow these tips, and you will end up with a customized wardrobe. Just imagine, you could be one of those people who is always impeccably dressed! If you want to make that vision a reality, contact Diane’s Alterations & Tailoring in Seattle, WA today!